One of greatest gifts our family received with the birth of our children was when our friends and family brought us meals when we came home from the hospital. Being able to relax without the stress of meal planning and grocery shopping for those first weeks was wonderful, not to mention we enjoyed trying new recipes our friends brought over!
Today I thought I’d share some recipe ideas* and tips for great meals you can make for new moms.
The best place to get started is to create a meal sign up for your friend. Meal Train and Take Them a Meal are free websites that make it simple for people to sign up to bring meals online. You can share the link via email or on a friend’s Facebook page.
- Along with dinner, bring enough disposable dishes, plasticware, and napkins for the family to use at dinnertime. That way they don’t need to worry about dishes.
- Double the recipe so you have enough for your family to eat at home.
- Can’t deliver your meal the day you signed up? Make a freezer meal and drop it off early. Or, order the family their favorite take out and either drop it off or have it delivered.
- Balsamic Chicken and Veggies (the recipe needs some tweaking, but overall it’s a really tasty dish! For me, I only used one bunch of asparagus, sliced the sweet potatoes really thin, omitted the oil from the glaze, and added 5 minutes to the baking time after the chicken was added to make sure they cooked through.)
- Balsamic Roasted Pork Loin
- Shrimp & Orzo Bake
- Zesty Chicken Un-Kabobs
- One Pan Shrimp and Vegetables (a little spicy for my kids, but Danny and I liked it!)
- BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
- Meatball Subs
- Shrimp Lemon Pepper Linguine
- Shepherd’s Pie
- Frozen Steam-able Veggies (let them microwave it so it’s warm when they are ready to eat it.)
- Mashed Potatoes (Don’t have tons of time? Buy a bag of frozen Steam ‘n Mash Potatoes.)
- Fresh fruit/fruit salad
*Note: If the new mom is breastfeeding, her diet can affect her baby’s digestive system, sometimes causing gas or colic. While each person is different, there are some basic foods to AVOID (or at least avoid large quantities) when making her a meal: cheese/dairy (or bring it on the side to be added on later), onions, garlic, peppers, broccoli, mexican food, beans. The main dishes I suggested avoid most/all of these foods.
What are your favorite meals to bring to new moms? Leave a comment and let me know!