With my brother and sister-in-law expecting their first baby this October, I figured it was appropriate to share my hospital packing list. I’ve used and refined it two times already, and will use it again this December when Anders Baby #3 makes his appearance!
If it was up to my husband, we would have our bags packed a good month before the baby’s due date…for me, I’m a packing procrastinator and wait until a week or two before. But, in this case, he usually gets his way, and honestly, it’s probably for the best!
*Disclaimer: I am a minimalist when it comes to packing. There are a lot more things expecting moms can bring, but these are my tried-and-true essentials.
Hospital/Birth Packing List
- Going Home Outfit (make it comfy…especially in the tummy area in case of a C-Section. No skirts…trust me. You’ll still need maternity clothes for the trip home.)
- be Band (to hold in that post baby belly)
- Nursing Cami (I LIVED in these the first few months as a new mom!)
- Nursing Bra – the Bravado Body Silk is my absolute favorite! I have four. 🙂
- Robe – Get something lightweight made with cotton or bamboo like this one. It’s SO nice to wear after the baby is born, easy to nurse in, and keeps you modest for visitors. 🙂
- Nursing Cover
- Slippers/warm socks
- Toiletries for overnight (most hospitals don’t provide shampoo, etc.)
- Makeup (minimal)
- Nursing Pillow (I love the Boppy and My Brest Friend pillows)
- Disposable Nursing Pads (I like reusable ones, but disposables are great the first few weeks when you don’t want to do a ton of laundry. Johnson’s is the most comfortable brand I’ve tried…others are really scratchy.)
- Lanolin Cream for nursing. Trust me, you need this! If you are allergic to wool, you may want to try this cream instead.
- Cell Phone & Charger
- ID, Insurance Card, Power of Attorney, Birth Plan (I found a simple birth plan to edit online like this one)
*Leave jewelry at home!
- Cell Phone & Charger, Camera & Charger
- iPad & Charger (great for watching TV shows during labor and afterwards)
- Cash (for vending machine)
- Snacks & Water Bottle
- Comfortable Shoes
- Hoodie/Clothes (3 days) PJ’s
- Air Mattress (our hospital has terribly uncomfortable pull-out beds. The air mattress is a much more comfortable option!)
- Toiletries for overnight
- List of people to call/text when you go to the hospital & when baby arrives (trust me…you won’t remember everyone when you’re in the moment, and you may forget to tell someone really important. Just make the list!)
- Baby Swaddling Blanket (The Nicki’s or Imagine Bamboo blankets are my favorites! You can order one or more here.)
- Going Home Outfit (I don’t bring other outfits and use the hospital onesies/hats while we are there)
- Umbilical Cord Blood Donation Kit from http://www.cordforlife.com. This is a great way to provide life-giving stem cells! You have to apply to donate cord blood before you are 34 weeks pregnant.
At the Hospital/Birth Center, Ask to Take Home:
Anything you (or the baby) use while you’re there!
- Newborn Diapers
- Extra Mesh Underwear
- Ice packs
- Nipple shields
- Extra Pads
- Hemorrhoid Cream
- Tucks Hemorrhoidal Pads
- Baby Comb
Leave me a comment, what hospital/birth essential would you add to the list? Download this list and more with my Baby Registry List.
This post may contain affiliate links.