Essential oils…what is the first thing to come to mind when you think of them? I know for me, it can be overwhelming. There are SO MANY different oils to choose from, not to mention just as many suggested uses for just ONE oil. So, where do you start? As I’ve learned more about essential oils and how to use them in my everyday life with my family, I’ve found some favorites that are perfect ones to try if you’re just starting out (or, if you’re on a budget and can’t justify buying them all).
First, WHY essential oils? I love essential oils because they are a simple way to benefit my family’s health. You don’t need TONS of medications, cleaning products, scented products, etc. because with essential oils you can create simple solutions to common health issues, DIY cleaning products, or even helping your home smell welcoming and calming. Lately, I’ve really enjoyed making my own cleaning products using household items like vinegar, water, baking soda, and essential oils.
Or, if you’d like to use single oils so you can make your own blends, here are my top six KidSafe oils:
- *Note: For babies and toddlers, I’d highly recommend using hydrosols instead of essential oils topically whenever possible. They are still effective, but much gentler and safer! My favorite hydrosols are Roman Chamomile, Lavender (both great for calming skin or mood), and Tea Tree. Click here to learn more about hydrosols.
What does this look like for a mom of three kids four and under? Here’s an example of how I use these essential oils throughout my day. I listed the blends to keep it simple, and then put the single oils in parentheses as alternative options.
- Diaper Changes – spray Roman Chamomile Hydrosol on baby’s bottom to soothe skin. You can also use diluted lavender oil on diaper rashes.
- Diffuse – 3-6 drops in a diffuser of Self esteem (or Lavender & Spearmint) to boost your mood. Use Germ Destroyer (or Tea Tree, Sweet Orange, Lavender, and/or Frankincense) if someone is sick. *Note: It’s best to NOT diffuse essential oils around babies under 6 months old and use caution around pets…many essential oils are harmful to cats).
- Cleaning – DIY all purpose cleaner (30 drops Germ Destroyer (or Tea Tree, Lavender, & Sweet Orange) + ¼ cup white vinegar + 1 ¾ cups water) and dusting spray ( 16 drops Odor Zapper (or Cedarwood & Sweet Orange)+ ⅓ cup water + ½ tablespoon liquid castile soap) are my go-tos. If you want a bunch of great DIY cleaning recipes using essential oils, check out these FREE downloads by Clean Mama.
- Bath – add a little Roman Chamomile hydrosol to the bath water for a calming end to the day.
- Chest rub – Blend 3 drops in 4 teaspoons of lotion or carrier oil of Sweet Slumber (or Lavender, Sweet Orange, & Cedarwood) or Sniffle Stopper (or Spearmint & Lavender) for a stuffy nose. You can also use Roman Chamomile hydrosol as a linen spray for bedding or your child’s favorite lovey toy.
- Diffuse – 3-6 drops of Sweet Slumber (or Sweet Orange, Cedarwood, & Lavender) at bedtime to create a calming atmosphere.
The great thing about these oils is they are safe to use around children, but still work great for adults! On each Plant Therapy bottle, they have more suggested uses for each oil or blend, as well as diluting and diffusing instructions.
I hope this gives you some ideas about how you can start using essential oils in your everyday life! Want to see my favorite essential oil products like diffusers, roller bottles, etc? Click here.
If you want to learn more about essential oils and how to use them safely, here are some wonderful resources I highly recommend:
Plant Therapy: on Facebook & website. I currently buy all my essential oils from here. They provide high quality oils, and follow the safety recommendations of the leading essential oil scientist. They also do weekly live videos on facebook and instagram, so you can learn more about essential oils and how to use them.
This post may contain affiliate links. All opinions are 100% my own, and I did not receive anything free from Plant Therapy for this review.