After each of my children were born, our wonderful friends provided us meals for the first few weeks. Then, I had another month’s worth of freezer meals stored up so I was still able to avoid the daunting task of grocery shopping with a newborn. However, reality finally set in, and with Jeremiah and Evelyn, I had to brave the grocery store each week with a two year old and baby (and sometimes an extra one year old when I was babysitting my friend’s daughter). Haha, I can’t tell you how many mixed looks of sympathy/you’re crazy I got from other shoppers with all three kids in tow!
Thankfully, shortly before Caleb was born, my local grocery stores introduced a new way to shop, and it has made my life significantly easier. Online grocery shopping means I can order groceries, drive to the store, and be home…all in less than 30 minutes total! I can probably count on one hand how many times I’ve actually taken all three kids to the store with me since Caleb was born in December because grocery pick up is SO much more convenient.
Here’s what you do:
- Go to the store’s website or app, and add items to your shopping cart, just like any online shopping. I love this because I can order any time of day or night. There are many times I’ve done my “grocery shopping” at 2 am during a night time feeding session. It also helps me avoid any extra spontaneous purchases I’m tempted to make when I go through the store.
- The store employees do the shopping for you. I’ve always been satisfied with the quality of food selected, and you approve any substitutions they make if something you order isn’t in stock.
- Schedule a pick up time (usually for the following day), and arrive any time during the window given to pick up your groceries. The employees will even load them in the car for you. No getting kids in and out of the car, and the wait is usually less than five minutes. The Walmart I shop at actually lets me check in from home when I’m ready to head to the store, so everything is ready and waiting when I get there.
Let me tell you, I LOVE grocery pick up! It has given me back at least an hour each week that I would have spent shopping at the store. It’s easy, and I can shop from any time, anywhere. And I can schedule pick up for when I’m already out in the area running errands, so I don’t have to make an extra stop.
Here are the stores that I’ve used for grocery pick up:
- Walmart – This is a free service. My favorite part? I regularly see the same employees each week when I pick up my food, so we chat as we load up the car. It’s a fun, and the personal touch makes a huge difference in the experience. If you’ve never ordered before, CLICK HERE TO GET $10 OFF your first grocery order!
- SAMS Club – This is also free with great customer service!
- Dillons (other Kroger stores may offer it as well) – It costs $5 to do grocery pick up. However, Dillons is great for people who like to coupon, or if you participate in their Community Rewards Program, because you can still participate when you order online.
Have you tried grocery pick up before? What has your experience been like?
And if you haven’t already, check out Part One of my favorite time savers here to see how I save tons of time cleaning my floors each week.